|Organization||Smokey House Center|
426 Danby Mountain Road
Danby, Vermont 05739
Smokey House Center seeks two Community Farm Interns for the 2018 growing season. Internswill live on site and assist with all aspects of vegetable and other farm production in a mannerthat integrates education partners, visiting groups, and volunteers. We’re looking for dedicated,community-minded farm interns who want to hone their growing skills in a public-facing,educational farm setting.Under the supervision of the Smokey House Farmer and Education Coordinator, the CommunityFarm Intern will assist with the day-to-day operations of the Community Farm, educationalgardens, blueberries, Christmas trees, and grounds.
• Seeding, transplanting, cultivation, harvesting, processing and distribution of Community Farm root crops,
• Light maintenance activities and repairs to Community Farm equipment, facilities, and tools,
• Tending to blueberry/raspberry production including mulching, pruning, mowing, and pick-your-own sales, possibly attending local farmers market during berry season,
• Help implement, build and care for a small poultry operation,
• Farm site and grounds maintenance including mowing, string-trimming, tree care, and fencing repair,
• Attending and assisting with farm education workshops and Community Farm events,
• Some possible activity/engagement with the Day Camp program for local youth,
• Leading some weekly public volunteer sessions.
The Smokey House Center Community Farm is pursuing Organic certification in 2018. We use hand tools and some limited mechanical cultivation.
Some farming and cultivation experience is helpful, though it is not required. Capacity forphysical work 6-8 hours a day, comfort working in all weather conditions, ability to bend andlift. Must have a positive attitude and interest in work with folks of all ages. This is a growingcommunity space and we are looking for interns who are excited about engaging with visitorsand volunteers. An ideal candidate will be able to stay on through the fall, which is when thebulk of our harvest, distribution, and programming happen. We will entertain applications forsummer interns. Start date negotiable.
About Smokey House Center:
Land. Agriculture. Learning.For over forty years, Smokey House Center has used our incredible 5,000-acre land resource asa stunning backdrop for youth development and education. Smokey House Center’sfundamental purpose is to maintain a working landscape that promotes sustainable agriculturaland forestry practices while engaging people in meaningful ways. The Smokey HouseCommunity Farm project grows food with local youth, visitors, and volunteers for donation to food security and other community food programs.
Visit www.smokeyhouse.org to learn more about our organization.
|Date Posted||February 7th, 2018|
|Deadline||April 1st, 2018|
|# of Positions Available||2|
|Categories||Food Access and Nutrition, Community / public garden, Internship / Apprenticeship / Mentorship programs|
|Compensation||Shared housing, stipend, educational and mentorship opportunities in a beautiful location.|
|How to Apply||Send cover letter and resume to: email@example.com|