The Programs & Membership Manager is responsible for coordinating and implementing all aspects of the Association’s programs, events, and membership recruitment, retention and development. This position works closely with the President to ensure that offerings and benefits meet the needs of members and the broader retail, grocery, and supporting industries.
This position does not have any direct reports but works closely with the Association’s bookkeeper.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Marketing & Communication
- Responsible for creation and oversight of Association’s newsletters, online content, social media use and content
- Responsible for keeping abreast of statewide and national trends as it relates to Association members
- Create and execute all member mailings
- Create and execute successful events, including but not limited to registration, identifying venues and additional vendors (photographers, caterers, etc.), coordinating sponsors
- Assess events for potential improvements and review return on investment to continuously improve
- Plan and implement all member recruitment
- Create, maintain and develop relationships with Association members
- Anticipate needs, survey members and create benefits and relationships to attract and cultivate new members
- Maintain current membership database and renewal dues mailings
- Create a schedule to ensure regular connections with existing members to ensure satisfaction, learn about areas for improvement and discuss member benefits
- Actively seek out, identify and connect with prospective new members and promote affinity programs
- Assist in maintaining and managing affinity programs/services and market benefits
- Participate in various networking and promotional events
- Perform other duties as assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or abilities required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Must be enthusiastic, smile and enjoy working with internal and external customers.
- Be proactive with regard to creative self-learning and professional development. Attend all required meetings, trainings, seminars and workshops.
- Demonstrated excellence in customer service.
- Outstanding communication skills – excellent listening skills, effective and clear speaking and writing skills. This includes the ability to take complex issues and make them approachable and understandable for a diverse audience.
- Ability to handle multiple demands, remain calm, think quickly and problem solve.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently within established guidelines.
- Demonstrated success in fundraising and outside sales.
- Demonstrated ability to create and execute successful large-scale events that include fundraising and various sponsorship opportunities.
- Ability to work well with others in a cooperative environment where teamwork and constant communication is essential.
- Neat and clean appearance.
- Ability to project a friendly, helpful, outgoing, mature personality.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule based on the needs in the store, including nights and weekends as necessary.
- Ability to meet expectations of regular, predictable attendance.
- Excellent organizational skills and demonstrated ability to follow through on commitments.
- Demonstrated ability to handle multiple demands and prioritize effectively.
- Solid knowledge of word processing, spreadsheet, and database computer software; ability to update web content.
- Attention to detail and good organizational abilities.
- Ability to work efficiently and motivate others to do the same.
Privy to confidential membership and business documents such as financials and organizational projections and strategies. High degree of confidentiality and discretion required.
Decision Making Authority
Make decisions that affect workflow and procedures within established guidelines. Involved in decision-making for Association planning as well as immediate and long-range planning, tactical and strategic thinking. Decisions of broad consequence may have little external input.
Must be able to stand, walk, use hands to handle and feel, reach with hands and arms, climb or balance, stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl, talk, hear, see at a distance of 20 inches or less, carry and lift 25-50 lbs. occasionally.
Ability to speak and write fluently and understand English language comprehensively.
Outstanding communication skills – excellent listening skills, effective and clear speaking and writing skills. This includes the ability to take complex issues and make them approachable and understandable for a diverse audience. Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals and guides. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from members, employees, legislators, the general public, and other stakeholders.
- Computer proficiency and detailed working knowledge of the following computer programs: Gmail, Dropbox, Google Calendar, Google Drive, Word, Excel, and database software.
- Proficiency with email marketing programs.
- Proficiency with current use of social media, blogs, and related programs and applications, e.g. Twitter, Facebook, Hootsuite, Pinterest, WordPress, Instagram, etc.
- Experience with web site content management systems, web design and associated analytics, preferred.
Ability to add, subtract, multiply and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions and decimals. Ability to compute rates, ratios and percentages and to draw/interpret financial reports.
Ability to collect data, establish facts, and solve practical problems. Ability to deal with a variety of abstract and concrete variables.
Education and Experience
- Minimum of an Associate’s Degree from an accredited college or university with a concentration in Media, Marketing, Public Relations, Business Communication, or a related degree. In lieu of a degree specifically related to this position (but not in lieu of the degree itself), prior related job experience will be considered.
- Knowledge of and interest in Vermont’s retail environment required.
- Public speaking experience and excellent writing and editing skills required.
- Experience with media purchasing in various mediums – radio, online, print, etc.
- Event planning experience required.
- Supervisory experience preferred.
Work in an office environment, noise level is moderate. Some statewide travel required and position requires a dependable vehicle.
Excellence in this position
- Sense of humor!
- Commitment to superior member service and to providing the highest quality membership experience possible.
- Demonstrated ability to follow directions and follow through on assigned tasks and responsibilities.
- Proactive with regard to creative self-learning and professional development.
- Being a team player, providing outstanding service, and contributing to the successful operations of Vermont Retail and Grocers Association.