Center for Sustainable Systems Add to Collection
||tomsREMOVETHISBEFORESENDING@mpsvt.org||Add to Collection|
Tom Sabo is a science teacher and sustainability educator at Montpelier High School and the founder and Executive Director of the Center for Sustainable Systems (CSS). Tom manages two greenhouses and numerous gardens at MHS that are used extensively across the school's curriculum and provide food for the cafeteria. Through the CSS, Tom offers professional development classes and workshops to help teachers design relevant and rigorous food systems curricula.
- General food system education
- Add to Collection Goal 3: Vermonters will exhibit fewer food-related health problems (e.g., obesity and diabetes).
- Add to Collection Goal 10: All Vermonters will have a greater understanding of how to obtain, grow, store, and prepare nutritional food.
- Add to Collection Goal 16: Vermont K-12 schools, Career and Technical Education Centers, and institutions of higher education will offer a wide range of curricula, certificate and degree programs, and conduct research aimed at meeting the needs of Vermont’s food system.
- Add to Collection Goal 17: The number of locally owned and operated food system businesses in Vermont is increasing.
- Add to Collection Goal 24: Vermont’s governor, legislature, and state agencies will champion Vermont’s food system as an economic development driver for the state and Vermont will demonstrate national leadership on food system development.