The Putney School Add to Collection
418 Houghton Brook Road
Putney, Vermont 05346
We are a progressive, secondary school for boarding and day students, situated on a 500-acre working dairy farm in southern Vermont. Central to the fundamental beliefs articulated by our founder Carmelita Hinton in 1935, is the vision that education is something to be actively pursued rather than passively received. We teach to the whole individual, through discussion-based humanities classes, the scientific discovery method, extensive artistic opportunities, and a student-lead work program.
||Gardener, Farm Assistant, and Science Teacher||krossREMOVETHISBEFORESENDING@putneyschool.org||(802) 380-2067||Add to Collection|
I am the vegetable gardener, farm assistant and a science teacher at The Putney School, a boarding high school in Putney, VT. At Putney I work with the students to raise vegetables for the school's dining hall on 2.5 acres of land; I also work on the school's dairy farm and teach Agroecology. Through the course of my job I engage students in farm work, teach about sustainability and complex systems in the context of agriculture, increase students' awareness of food and farm systems, and empower them to follow their interests in the areas of agriculture, sustainability, gardening and food preservation. I've lived in Vermont for 8 years and worked at a few different educational farms before coming to Putney.
- Land access / conservation
- Livestock breeder
- Maple syrup
Food Processing or Manufacturing
- Fluid milk
Retail Food Outlets
- Dining service / cafeteria
- Compost producer or supplier
Food Access and Nutrition
- Community / public garden
- Cooking / nutrition classes
- Gleaning programs
- General food system education
- Farm to School programs
- Internship / Apprenticeship / Mentorship programs
- Other: Education
- Solar site
education,milk,vegetables,maple syrup, firewood
- Add to Collection Goal 5: Agricultural lands and soils will be available, affordable, and conserved for future generations of farmers and to meet the needs of Vermont’s food system.
- Add to Collection Goal 7: Local food production—and sales of local food—for all types of markets will increase.
- Add to Collection Goal 8: Vermont’s dairy industry is viable and diversified.