Latchis Theatre, 50 Main Street
On Monday, December 14, 2015, join the Vermont Agency of Agriculture, Food & Markets (VAAFM) and U.S. Food & Drug Administration (FDA) subject matter experts for an overview of three final Food Safety Modernization Act (FSMA) Rules:
- Produce Safety
- Preventive Controls for Human Food
- Preventive Controls for Animal Food
FDA subject matter experts will provide information on what the new rules cover and who must comply, as well as major requirements of the rules. All stakeholders throughout the Northeast are invited to attend this informational event and will have opportunities to ask questions of FDA subject matter experts.
Signed into law in 2011, the Food Safety Modernization Act (FSMA) represents the largest update to the Federal Food, Drug & Cosmetic Act since 1938, requiring FDA to set new food safety standards for food production both in facilities and on farms. Since FDA published the proposed rules in January 2013, VAAFM has worked to establish strong partnerships with the National Association of State Departments of Agriculture (NASDA) and FDA in order to ensure the perspectives and experiences of New England producers have been accurately represented throughout the rulemaking process.
The Produce Safety, Preventive Controls for Human Food, and Preventive Controls for Animal Food rules are now final and will be implemented throughout the United States over the next one to five years. VAAFM, along with other state departments and agencies of agriculture, will continue to work closely with NASDA, FDA and other national partners as FSMA rules are finalized and throughout the implementation process.
This informational event is free, open to the public, and accessible to people with disabilities. No registration is required. For more information or to request accommodations such as seating, interpreting, etc., call (802) 522-7811 or email AGR.FSMA@vermont.gov in advance of the event.
Provisional Meeting Agenda (To be confirmed by 11/30/15)
- 9:30–10:00 AM Reception (Refreshments provided)
- 10:00–10:40 AM Welcome & Opening Remarks
- 10:40 AM–12:00 PM FSMA Preventive Controls for Human Food Final Rule Overview with Question & Answer Session
- 12:00–1:30 PM Break (Lunch will not be provided)
- 1:30–2:50 PM FSMA Produce Safety Final Rule Overview with Question & Answer Session
- 2:50–3:00 PM Break
- 3:00–4:20 PM FSMA Preventive Controls for Animal Food Final Rule Overview with Question & Answer Session
- 4:20–4:30 PM Closing Remarks