Black Dirt Farm is a diversified family farm in Vermont's Northeast Kingdom. We operate a year-route food scrap collection route and collect organic waste from our community. We strive to put this “waste” to as much positive use as we can. First, we blend the food scraps into a compost mix which provides forage for our laying hens. We then make compost and worm castings with the excess food and manure. Finally, we use the resulting products to nourish our soils and crops. Our farm is firmly based in regenerative agricultural practices and the creation of sustainable food systems. Since 2014, we’ve diverted 13.6 million pounds of food scraps from the landfill, reducing greenhouse gas emissions by the equivalent of not burning 603,598 gallons of gasoline and capturing enough nitrogen to fertilize over 1,000 acres of mixed vegetable crops.
Being a part of Black Dirt Farm means working in an environment that is both caring and efficient. The farm requires creative and driven individuals who can work as part of a dynamic and often fast paced team but also be individually responsible for managing their own tasks with professionalism and quality.
At Black Dirt Farm we strive to create and sustain a diverse, inclusive, and equitable workplace where all Crew Members, volunteers, and customers—of all genders and gender-identities, races, ethnicities, national origins, ages, sexual orientations or identities, educations, or disabilities—feel valued and respected. We are committed to equal opportunity for employment and advancement and believe the farm as a whole will thrive when all those involved are thriving and able to contribute their full selves. We respect and value diverse life experiences and heritages, and work to create an environment where these contribute to a more vibrant working community. To foster an inclusive farm community, Black Dirt Farm does not tolerate marginalizing behavior, language, or harassment of any sort.
The Office Manager is the primary point person in the farm for administrative functions, sales, and customer service. This role includes a variety of tasks, including bookkeeping, overseeing sales and farm marketing, outreach management, new customer development, distribution, and customer support for all of the farm’s enterprises, products and services.
The Office Manager handles administrative tasks, including state and solid waste district reporting and licensing, maintenance of collection schedules, QuickBooks data entry, invoicing, deposits, AP/AR, and other related miscellaneous tasks.
As a growing business, there are new projects that come up and this person will help coordinate with other staff to figure out solutions and implement new systems and processes to improve efficiency and provide more insight on how the organization is functioning. The Office Manager must manage their own time effectively to strike a balance between routine and project-based tasks, while ensuring that less frequent routine tasks are executed effectively.
Bookkeeping & Financial Oversight
- Manage QuickBooks – weekly expense/income entries, credits, invoices, and maintain tidiness of books etc.
- Keep organized financial records.
- Invoicing, timely payment of bills, and accounts receivable follow up.
- Prepare and make deposits; oversee bank transfers as needed.
- Process weekly payroll.
- Complete all EOY paperwork for W2 employees and 1099 Independent Contractors.
- Maintain cash flow projections and provide reports.
- Work with Business Manager and Owner to develop annual budget.
- Generate monthly financial reports and other reports as needed.
- Work with Business Manager to track class metrics throughout the year.
- Seek out funding opportunities and help with completing applications.
Customers, Sales, and Distribution
- Oversee sales and customer management for all farm enterprises
- Support existing customers and outreach as needed to onboard new customers.
- Communications about changes in schedule, delivery updates, seasonal changes, etc.
- Coordinate weekly orders for all farm enterprises.
- Coordinate distribution and shipping.
- Maintain customer information.
- Update website as needed.
- Create social media posts and Mailchimp email campaigns.
- Update weekly service schedules.
- Communicate regularly with existing food scrap collection customers.
- Coordinate seasonal and holiday schedule adjustments.
- Help food scrap collection customers prevent contamination of food scraps through employee trainings, education, and customer communications.
- Outreach to new route customers including calls, site visits, and other outreach efforts.
- Onboarding new customers, including contract signing and any required supporting documentation.
- Train new food scrap generators.
- Complete annual District and State Registration and monthly reporting requirements.
- Complete semi-annual bids for state and corporate accounts.
- Maintain employee files.
- Onboard new employees.
- Oversee and track PTO and other employee benefits.
- Coordinate monthly team meetings.
- Work with Farm Manager to resolve any human resources issues that may arise.
- Help streamline overall organization processes.
- Inventory Management – Packaging, office supplies, first aid supplies, etc.
- Check phone messages daily and manage general business email account; act as the point of contact for all correspondence.
- Maintain calendar of routine annual events and deadlines.
- Manage special projects as needed and time allows.
- Maintain memberships and subscriptions to affiliate networks and organizations.
- Oversee and create company email accounts.
- Assist with IT needs.
- Superior interpersonal skills and emotional self-awareness
- Can handle multiple responsibilities and meet deadlines, and demonstrates excellent problem-solving capacity. Strives toward efficiency and effectiveness
- Excited to be a part of and help to grow a new farm and food system business
- Excellent verbal and written communication, and strong customer service skills
- Good understanding of numbers and business
- Works cohesively in a team, as well as independently. In particular, is skilled and experienced in receiving and providing feedback.
- Takes responsibility for their assigned tasks and shows pride in their work
- Highly organized
- Experienced in QuickBooks, MS Word, and MS Excel, Google Docs, Mac computers
- Experience with website management, social media and Mailchimp or similar email tools