Works closely with the Front End Manager to oversee Front End operations and ensure the highest standard of prompt, friendly, and efficient customer service to the City Market shopper. Ensure that the retail and work areas of the store are maintained in a clean, safe, and orderly condition. Acts as Manager on Duty in the absence of Department Managers within the guidelines of the responsibilities of the Manager on Duty. Supports department objectives for sales to labor goals, accuracy and productivity.
The Assistant Front End Manageris responsible for providing the highest level of service possible to our customers, vendors, co-workers and community. This position is also required to maintain the highest standards of professionalism and contribute towards a positive work environment that requires the highest standard of personal conduct and excellence.
The Assistant Front End Manager works closely with the Front End Manager to oversee:
- Customer Service Coordinator (Downtown only)
- Front Team Leaders
- Head Cashiers
- Cashiers & Baggers
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, ability and/or attributes required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Assist Front End Manager in meeting or exceeding store net sales targets.
- Assist Front End Manager in adhering to department’s labor and target.
- Assist Front End Manager in adhering to department’s expense targets.
- Work with Front End Manager and HR to hire, train, develop, supervise and evaluate the performance of all direct reports.
- Maintain and improve standards and ensure training for prompt, friendly, helpful customer service from Front End staff.
- Model and demonstrate a willingness to provide outstanding customer service in all areas of the job with a continual customer orientation.
- Oversee operations of the Customer Service Desk.
- Ensure accuracy and security of all cash received through Front End.
- Assist Front End Manager in developing Front End policies, employee relations, and general department oversight. Follow established personnel policies and utilize appropriate recognition, training, development, and corrective action practices with Front End employees.
- Develop and maintain favorable relations with staff, members, customers, and vendors.
- Ensure that all Front End staff adheres to established safety procedures, including dealing with shoplifters, emergency mechanical protocol and evacuation plans.
- Enforce all City Market policies and procedures that ensure compliance with Vermont Department of Liquor Control guidelines to prevent alcohol sales to minors or intoxicated customers.
- Work with Facilities and IT departments to ensure proper functioning and maintenance of all technological and mechanical systems in the Front End.
- Provide regular feedback to Front End Manager regarding Front End operations. This may include staffing levels, supply needs and personnel issues.
- Ensure that staff adheres to established safety procedures, including emergency protocol and evacuation plans.
- As member of the All Leadership Team, this position will direct and oversee the work of others by: making decisions that affect workflow and procedures within their department, being involved in group decision making for organizational planning, and implementing immediate and long-range planning as well as tactical and strategic thinking for departmental business needs and personnel development.
- This position is regularly exposed to organization-wide confidential information: including but not limited to: financial, personnel, customer and vendor. A high degree of confidentiality and discretion is required.
- Adhere to policies as outlined in the City Market’s Employee Guide and City Market’s Management Guide.
- Familiarize yourself with and adhere to the Collective Bargaining Agreement.
- Be proactive with regard to creative self-learning and professional development while having a curiosity and desire to learn. Attend all required meetings, trainings, seminars and workshops.
- Follow all department policies and procedures in order for City Market to adhere to all State, Federal and OSHA regulations.
- Support City Market’s Global Ends, Values, Co-op Principles and Diversity Statement.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Core Co-op Competencies
- Ability to build collaborative relationships, develop trust and motivate staff is essential.
- Experience and success within retail management in a fast-paced, large sales environment.
- Sense of humor!
- Be a team player. A team player is one who has the “willingness to consider the effects of one’s own decisions on others and has the ability to focus on the larger Co-op goals rather than individual concerns.”
- Ability to work well with others in a cooperative environment where teamwork, compassion and constant communication are essential.
- Ability to demonstrate clear and expressive verbal and written communication skills, following the proper channels as outlined by your supervisor(s) as well as genuine active listening skills.
- Ability to follow through on commitments and having a high sense of personal and professional accountability.
- A consistent and genuine ability to project a friendly and outgoing personality.
- Ability to handle multiple demands, remain calm, think quickly, prioritize effectively and problem solve within established guidelines.
- Ability to speak, read and understand the English language and carry out complex instructions.
- Ability to meet expectations of regular, predictable attendance.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule including mornings, evenings, weekends and occasional late nights.
Qualifications & Skills
Education & Experience:
- Associate’s degree or equivalent two year degree or five years’ of related work experience.
- Minimum of 2 year’s retail, cash handling or related experience.
- Minimum of 2 year management experience including but not limited to: hiring, training, evaluating, coaching and developing staff.
- Solid understanding of Microsoft Office Suite.
- Public speaking and presentation skills are essential.
- This position will occasionally be required to work at other City Market locations for coverage or to attend required meetings, trainings, etc.….
Work Environment & Physical Ability
- Noise level is moderate to loud as can be expected in a busy retail environment. May be exposed to various temperature changes and work environments, including frequently working with and in freezers and coolers. This position requires the performance of repetitive tasks as well as significant lifting, walking, standing, moving, carrying and stocking product. May be required to work in high, precarious places. Expected to lift up to 50lbs regularly.