Start Date: Flexible, early Summer
This position is based in Brattleboro, Vermont. On-site availability required. Remote work opportunities will be infrequent.
The Food Hub Warehouse Specialist (FHWS) is responsible for overseeing the Food Connects Food Hub Warehouse, ensuring the warehouse is optimally utilized and in compliance with all applicable regulations, and contributing to the safe, timely, and undamaged flow of Food Hub products.
The FHWS must have consistently exceptional organizational, systems thinking, problem-solving, and record-keeping skills. They should be adept at thinking and planning spatially and have a high level of attention to detail.
This is a hands-on position with the expectation that this individual will be flexible and able to jump in where needed to optimize operations and support other team members. The FHWS is fully trained on all day-to-day warehouse tasks and all delivery and pick-up routes. They are expected to help cover various miscellaneous warehouse and general operational tasks as needed, such as: driving pick-up or delivery routes, assisting in the warehouse with receiving, picking orders, loading trucks, and other tasks as needed. It is a high-energy position that provides ample opportunities for those interested in food systems to get to know local food producers and buyers in the Central New England area.
Full-time, 40 hr/week, non-exempt hourly position. Schedule will vary seasonally, but general availability during the below hours is required. (This will vary according to daily fluctuations in the Food Hub distribution schedule.) Some evening and weekend availability may be required with advance notice.
- Monday: 7 AM- 4 PM
- Tuesday: 7 AM - 4 PM
- Wednesday: 6 AM - 2 PM
- Thursday: 7 AM - 4 PM
- Friday: 7 AM - 4 PM
- This position will report to the Food Hub Co-Director: Operations
- The FHWS will be part of the Food Hub Operations Team and work closely with the Food Hub Co-Directors and FH Procurement Specialist (FHPS).
- After the introductory period, the FHWS will supervise the FH Warehouse Coordinator.
Warehouse Systems & Regulatory Compliance
- Coordinates with FHD to ensure food safety compliance, planning, and supporting adherence to regulatory guidelines while supporting smooth daily operations. This will include developing, implementing, monitoring, and training Food Hub staff on regular food safety-related processes pertaining to warehouse systems and keeping required food safety records.
- Coordinates with FHD to ensure compliance with OSHA warehouse and employee safety regulations.
- Assist FHD with general warehouse systems and standard operating procedure (SOP) development and implementation.
- Manages FH Sanitation program, ensuring tasks are accurately completed as required by Food Hub staff.
- Creates, implements, and maintains daily pre- and post-shift warehouse checklists.
- Coordinates with FH Fleet & Facilities Coordinator (FHFFC) regarding facilities and warehouse equipment maintenance projects and schedules.
Warehouse & Inventory Coordination
- Proactively assists FHPS with facility set-up and warehouse maintenance programs in coordination with inventoried product flow.
- Assists with inventory management, ensuring that all inventory is received accurately, accounted for, and stored safely to preserve product quality in accordance with applicable food safety protocols and regulations. Perishability is anticipated and mitigated.
- Collaborate with FHPS to develop and implement a Quality Control program.
- Creates and maintains warehouse and inventory floor map and racking labels.
- Schedules and coordinates cross-dock requests, product flow, and invoicing.
- Assists, as needed, with day-to-day inventory picking and labeling, order picking, and vehicle loadout.
- Assists with monthly inventory.
- Able to cover all driving routes as necessary.
- Ensures the safe, timely, and undamaged pickup and delivery of all FH products in vehicles as large as a 24-foot reefer box truck.
- Receives order picking details, all delivery logistics, driving details, and provides feedback to the FH Operations Coordinator (FHOC).
- Inspects and verifies the complete contents and quality of all FH products during pickup and quickly communicates any shortages or other issues to the FHOC.
- Tracks and communicates mileage, hours, and other pertinent issues for each route.
- Assists FH Team in identifying ways to improve all aspects of the Food Hub and its distribution operations and help put those strategies into action.
- Schedule and attend regular check-ins with FHD and provide proactive and constructive feedback to aid in continuous improvement.
- Participate in annual self-review.
- Conduct peer reviews of other staff members as requested.
- Assists FH Management with meetings and events.
- Represent Food Connects in opportunities for FH education and outreach.
- Assists FHD with training new staff as needed.
- Alignment with Food Connects’ mission and organizational culture.
- Commitment to excellence and high level of accuracy and manage multiple, competing priorities with flexibility when priorities change.
- At least two years of previous warehouse and/or operations (or applicable) experience that includes food handling and/or pallet manipulation.
- General familiarity with food safety and OSHA regulations, and excitement to build upon this knowledge.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal—in person, over the phone, email, text.
- Flexibility and adaptability in the face of a dynamic and high-intensity work week, and of a rapidly evolving local food industry. Comfortable with change.
- Strong organizational skills and a natural proclivity for keeping detailed records.
- General technical skills with common workplace software such as G-Suite, Excel, Slack, and customer relationship management software (CRM).
- Ability to learn and incorporate new tools and technology into the work plan.
- Reliable private vehicle. Mileage tracked and reimbursed at the federal rate.
- Valid driver’s license and willingness to allow FC to run driving record check.
- Ability to work and drive in adverse weather conditions.
- Reliable cell phone with data plan. Monthly cell phone reimbursement is rolled into salary.
- At least three professional references.
- Ability to work well within a team environment as well as independently manage priorities and work plan.
- A sense of humor, a positive can-do attitude, and the humility to regularly incorporate others’ feedback into work processes.
- Cheerful, professional, mindful presence.
- Experience and comfort using warehouse equipment, including pallet jacks, lifts, and/or forklifts.
- General knowledge of the sustainable food and agriculture sector.
- Experience driving box delivery trucks or other comparably-sized vehicles.
- Experience with food systems, food wholesale, food distribution, food retail, and/or farming.
- Existing relationships with local food producers.
- Familiarity with our delivery services’ geographical area (Windham County, VT; Windsor County, VT; Upper Valley, VT and NH; Cheshire County, NH).
- Ability to sit at a desk and work in an office setting to execute job responsibilities.
- Ability to repeatedly lift and move product (cases up to 50lbs) throughout the workday.
- Ability to drive continuously for a full workday, including loading and unloading product for delivery and climbing in and out of delivery vehicles.