We value diversity in all of its forms and strive to have our employment practices reflect that. As such, we are an equal opportunity workplace and will not discriminate based on disability or other legally protected categories. If an employee has a disability that makes it difficult to perform their job duties, they are encouraged to notify us to discuss reasonable accommodations.
The Monadnock Region Value Chain Coordinator’s primary responsibility is to coordinate and develop sales, networking, and procurement efforts of the Food Connects Food Hub in the Monadnock Region and southern New Hampshire. The Monadnock Region Value Chain Coordinator develops and cultivates relationships with current and potential customers and producers who can support the work of Food Connects. This position is a member of the Food Hub Business Development team and has an integral role in supporting the development and growth of Food Connects’ Food Hub. This position is currently grant-funded.
- Building Collaborative Relationships: The ability to develop, maintain, and strengthen partnerships with others inside or outside the organization who can provide information, assistance, and support.
- Customer Orientation: The ability to demonstrate concern for satisfying one’s external and/or internal customers.
- Diagnostic Information Gathering: The ability to identify the information needed to clarify a situation, seek that information from appropriate sources, and use skillful questioning to draw out the information when others are reluctant to disclose it.
- Initiative: Identifying what needs to be done and doing it before being asked or before the situation requires it.
- Attention to Communication: The ability to pass on information to others who should be kept informed.
- Fostering Innovation: The ability to creatively develop and support the introduction of new and improved methods, products, procedures, or technologies.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- With the Food Connects Food Hub (FCFH) Sales Team, promote the growth of regional food deliveries by enhancing existing relationships with customers and developing new relationships with potential customers in the Monadnock Region and Upper Valley.
- Develop new sales opportunities for FCFH producers in other areas of New Hampshire, including Manchester, Concord, and the Seacoast region.
- Support the merchandising of products in retail settings.
- Coordinate market matchmaking using FCFHs’ sales and distribution platform, events, and other ways.
- Provide face-to-face customer support on an ongoing basis.
- Serve as the Food Connects and Monadnock Region liaison to the New Hampshire Food Hub Network, focusing on building relationships and advancing trade among partners by attending meetings and taking on follow-up tasks and communications.
- Lead the New Hampshire Food Hub Network Catalog’s development for FCFH Food Connects’ sales to Monadnock and Upper Valley customers.
- Support Monadnock Fresh, a Monadnock-based start-up, processing facility, and food business incubator, in its growth and development through identifying and connecting potential customers and producers.
- Organize convening events and stakeholder meetings for producers and customers.
- Work with the FCFH Procurement Specialist to identify and onboard New Hampshire producers, focusing on partnership opportunities with the New Hampshire Food Hub Network.
- Facilitate logistical problem-solving where needed, for example, identifying cross-dock and aggregation locations to create supply chains.
- Assist schools and farms with the coordination of crop planning and purchasing.
- Provide informal technical assistance and links to more formal technical assistance for producers, wholesale customers, and the community.
- Support the Food Connects Marketing Manager by playing a key role in events, including matchmaking gatherings, producer meetings, and the Food Connects Local Food Trade Show.
- Document sales and procurement outreach work in internal customer relationship management software (CRM) database:
- Attend regular team meetings and supervisor check-ins and provide proactive, constructive feedback for continuous improvement.
- Engage in an annual performance review.
- Participate in peer reviews of other staff members as requested.
- At least two years of previous food procurement and/or sales/merchandizing experience.
- General knowledge of the sustainable food and agriculture sector.
- Strong knowledge of veggies, fruits, dairy, meats, value-added products, and other locally-produced foods.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal—in person, over the phone, email, text.
- Comfort with calculating and strategizing based on pricing strategies, margins, and distribution costs.
- General technical skills with standard workplace tools such as G-Suite, spreadsheets, Slack, project management tools (e.g., Asana), and CRM software.
- Strong organizational skills and a natural proclivity for keeping detailed records.
- Interest in and ability to adapt to changes in evolving business, be creative, and jump in where needed to optimize operations.
- Cheerful, professional presence.
- Ability to learn and incorporate new tools and technology into the work plan.
- Reliable private vehicle. Mileage tracked and reimbursed at the federal rate. The Value Chain Coordinator will have access to an FC company vehicle for sales trips, but availability is not always guaranteed.
- Valid driver’s license and willingness to allow FC to run a driving record check.
- Reliable cell phone. Monthly cell phone reimbursement is rolled into salary.
- At least three professional references.
- Experience working with farmers, food producers, and/or wholesale customers in southern New Hampshire.
- Experience in small business management and/or business development, especially in the food sector.
- General knowledge of purchasing regulations for schools, institutions, and restaurants.
- Familiarity with the geographical area of our delivery services (Windham County, VT; Windsor County, VT; Upper Valley; Southern New Hampshire; Western Massachusetts).
- Familiarity with food safety regulations.
- ServSafe Certified.
Working Conditions & Physical Demands
Food Connects will make reasonable accommodations to enable individuals to perform the essential functions of their work to the degree we can do so.
Work Conditions: The position is based in the Food Connects office in Brattleboro, with substantial flexibility for remote work. The position will require a significant amount of travel around New Hampshire. Evening and weekends may be required but will have plenty of lead time for planning.
Physical Demands: This position entails extensive use of a desktop or laptop computer, sitting or standing at a desk workstation.