Pete's Greens is looking for a knowledgeable veggie grower to join our team in the role of Crop Manager. Pete’s Greens grows vegetables year-round in 50,000 square ft of heated and 2.5 acres of unheated greenhouses and tunnels, some of which have soil heat and automated venting. From April to November we are also growing veggies on 100 tilled acres. Our crop manager manages the master plan for all plantings and successions. The ideal candidate is a seasoned veggie grower who is looking for a year round long-term position at an established farm in the heart of the Northeast Kingdom of Vermont.
We are looking for an organized, system focused farmer to join our team. This position is both an admin and a hands-on job.
- Management of our crop planning database (in Filemaker and Excel), planning all successions to fulfill CSA and wholesale sales plan
- Seed ordering for all vegetable crops
- Production of weekly task lists for crew detailing that week’s planned plantings, transplanting, weeding or other activities that are scheduled in crop database.
- Assisting in management of seedlings/starts from seeding until transplant including monitoring watering and temps in the greenhouses they are in, determining when flats are moved from germinating house to different house, when hardened off, and keeping track of space requirements needed while ensuring labeling of varieties throughout these stages
- Planning to optimize planting, transplanting, harvesting activities
- Daily collaboration with team members to assess tasks completed and tasks still to be done
- Scouting for pest & diseases, noting weed pressure or other issues present
- Knowledge of organic greenhouse production w/ several years of winter vegetable growing experience and experience with vine crops preferred; or quick learner with 2 years growing experience and willing to learn planning and management on the job
- Seed ordering and organic record keeping experience including familiarity with Northeast vegetable varieties
- Knowledge of and experience w/ organic pest and disease ID and control preferred; or willing to learn on the job
- Ability to manage a crew efficiently and ensure standards are maintained
- Organized, able to maintain accurate detailed records
- Excellent email communication skills (much farm communication is via email)
- Solid computer skills including Excel and familiarity with database management
- Knowing a little Spanish is helpful