The Rutland Area Food Co-op is seeking an energetic community-oriented leader to serve as our General Manager.
- Create and implement store policies and procedures with the goal of fostering an environment which will ensure success.
- Build and maintain positive relationships with owners and the greater community in order to promote the RAFC mission and broaden community participation.
- Establish and evaluate development goals and priorities, including the assessment of capital needs and performance objectives for department managers.
- Monitor budget progression which includes identifying deviations and taking corrective action to meet established goals.
- Efficiently and effectively organize and oversee the Co-op’s operations which includes monitoring the overall store condition to meet budgetary goals and customer service standards in order to ultimately ensure profitability.
- Meet business and organizational goals including current operational goals as well as future expansion goals.
- Facilitate the hiring, orienting, training, supervision, scheduling, timely and thoughtful evaluation, promotion, discipline and/or dismissal of all Co-op staff
- Oversee and collaborate on marketing efforts in order to increase public awareness of the Co-op’s products and services as well as contribute to community education.
- Ensure a safe and healthy workplace for all employees which includes consistent staff meetings, measurable objectives and performance standards, staff training and opportunities for development and an employee handbook.
The General Manager is accountable to and serves at the discretion of our Board of Directors. The Board and GM work together to establish and implement goals and policies. Reporting will include directing and monitoring all financial operations of RAFC including operating, capital and cash budgets as well as interpreting financial statements to the board at monthly meetings.
The job responsibilities and duties listed above are representative only and not exhaustive of the tasks that the general manager may be required to perform.
- Retail management experience including responsibility for setting sales goals, product merchandising, purchasing and pricing guidelines, marketing and bottom-line decisions
- Embrace values that align with a cooperative business
- Experience with operating and capital budgeting and management
- High level of communication skills, including written and verbal
- Ability to analyze and report on financial performance as well as proficiency in accounting, bookkeeping and financial statements
- Proven ability to build, develop and lead a team, including delegation skills
- Experience with strategic planning
- Ability to lift heavy objects and be on feet for 8 hours/day
- 5+ years of experience in natural foods and/or Co-op retail management
- Knowledge of natural and organic foods
- Experience with fundraising and/or owner loan campaigns
- Proficiency with point-of-sale systems and QuickBooks
- Knowledge of the care and maintenance of retail/food store equipment including coolers, freezers, sanitizers, ice makers, scales, compressors and evaporators.
- Familiarity with writing business plans and sourcing financing for large projects
- An understanding of food systems, and economic & environmental sustainability