2020 Vermont Sustainable Jobs Fund Summer Intern
Project: Food System Profiles and Outreach Intern
Hours: 20/week over 12 weeks
Rate of pay: $13.50/hour
We are looking for someone who:
- Is an effective communicator (both in writing skills, and outreach ability)
- Works well both independently and collaboratively
- Is accountable for their work and has strong time management skills
- Has a positive attitude and ability to problem solve effectively
- Is committed to the mission of the VSJF, which is to nurture the sustainable development of Vermont’s economy.
- Experience conducting one-on-one interviews
- Experience conducting community outreach
- Familiarity with the food system
- In 2016, the Farm to Plate Network published twelve Career Profiles to help engage high school students in understanding different options and pathways for careers in the food system (available at https://www.vtfarmtoplate.com/resources/food-system-career-profiles-12-profiles-released) This summer intern will create additional profiles with a greater diversity of backgrounds and careers.
- The intern will be responsible for reaching out to interviewees, conducting and transcribing interviews, and lightly editing for clarity and length. Many potential interviewees have been identified but the intern will also have the opportunity to select some that are of particular interest to them personally.
- Depending on interest and ability, the intern may also assist in creation of communications piece(s) about this project (e.g. a feature story for the Farm to Plate website, social media posts highlighting interviewees).
- The intern will also assist in outreach/tabling at festivals and community events on behalf of the Rooted in Vermont project, a campaign that celebrates the many different ways Vermonters engage with local food, from purchasing local in the grocery store, to purchasing from their neighbor’s farm stand, to hunting, fishing, foraging, and gardening.
- At least 8 hours/week will be expected to take place at the VSJF office in Montpelier.
- Outreach for Rooted in Vermont will involve some travel, so access to a car is strongly preferred and working on a few weekends may be required, but specific events can be selected to fit intern’s geographic location, schedule, and interests.
- Any remaining hours may be worked remotely.