213 Maxwell Road
Newport, VT 05855
- Methane digester site
Lois and Maurice Maxwell started Maxwell’s Neighborhood Farm in 1957. Four sons (Stewart, Bradley, Anthony, and Jeffrey) and a grandson, Matthew, now operate the approximately 800 cow dairy. The Maxwells pursued a methane, or anaerobic, digester as a way to diversify their operation at a time of low milk prices.
- Goal 4: Options for farmers to reduce their production expenses will be widely disseminated and utilized.
- Goal 6: Farms and other food system operations will improve their overall environmental stewardship to deliver a net environmental benefit to the state.
- Goal 7: Local food production—and sales of local food—for all types of markets will increase.
- Goal 8: Vermont’s dairy industry is viable and diversified.
- Goal 9: The majority of farms will be profitable.
- Goal 10: All Vermonters will have a greater understanding of how to obtain, grow, store, and prepare nutritional food.
- Goal 13: Local food will be available at all Vermont market outlets and increasingly available at regional, national, and international market outlets.
- Goal 22: Food system enterprises will minimize their use of fossil fuels and maximize their renewable energy, energy efficiency, and conservation opportunities.