157 Main St
Brattleboro, Vermont 05301
We help support and sustain family farms by connecting people with healthy local food, and with the farmers and food producers who bring it to them.
Orly is the founder and executive director of Strolling of the Heifers. Drawing on her 20-year background as an educational consultant, she gathered a group of volunteers in 2001 to help focus attention on the difficulties of small family farms in the Brattleboro region. In 2002, they organized the first annual Strolling of the Heifers, a parade and festival celebrating farmers and aiming to connect people with healthy local food. With the growth in the local foods movement since then, “the Stroll” has expanded to a full weekend which is annually rated one of Vermont’s Top Ten Summer Events (and in 2013 was rated one of America’s Top 10 Summer Festivals). Under Orly’s leadership, over the years Strolling of the Heifers launched educational programs, a microloan fund, and farm internship program for youth, which are now all carried on by other organizations. In 2011, the Slow Living Summit was added, immediately preceding Stroll Weekend. Strolling of the Heifers also currently organizes the Vermont Farm/Food Business Plan Competition in collaboration with Vermont Technical College.
Slow Living Summit Coordinator, Jennifer Brandt, brings years of marketing experience for a variety of clients ranging from Sony to small non-profits. Jennifer’s extensive marketing experience gives her access to a vast professional network of marketing and creative heavy-hitters that can be assembled for projects with even the most daunting marketing and creative challenges. Her passion for sustainable food systems makes her work with Strolling of the Heifers more like a dream than a job. While not working on organizing spectacular events or creating new marketing materials for clients, you can find her exploring new food around the world whether it be via food stall, beach shack and even the occasional high-end meal.
- Agriculture and culinary tourism
- Support organization: Farm Inputs
- Support organization: Food Production
Food Processing or Manufacturing
- Support organization: Food Processing or Manufacturing
Food Distribution or Storage
- Support organization: Food Distribution or Storage
Food Access and Nutrition
- Cooking / nutrition classes
- Localvore / Transition Town / Community group
- Support organization: Food Access and Nutrition
- Other: Food Access and Nutrition
- General food system education
- Internship / Apprenticeship / Mentorship programs
Business Planning and Technical Assistance
- Other: Business Planning and Technical Assistance
- Other: Financing Organizations